Olympia High School
Daily Bulletin 2021-2022
January 18, 2022
- OHS Community Council: Thursday, January 20 at 6:00 pm, Library
- OHS Student Equity Committee: Friday, January 21st from 9am – 12pm
- Finals: Feb. 2nd: Periods 1 & 2, Feb. 3rd: Periods 3 & 4, Feb. 4th: Periods 5 & 6
- Freshmen: Your Class of 2025 Merch is in room 901 and you can pick it up during both lunches! Please stop by this week and get your merch. The Class of 2025 store will be open again later this year!
- OHS Community Council: We invite all students, staff, families and community members to join us in a conversation this month about school safety and the proposed tardy policy this Thursday, Jan. 20th at 6pm. You can choose to attend either in person in our Library or via Zoom, the link can also be found on our OHS Calendar homepage. Your voices will impact how we move forward for 2nd semester.
- OHS Student Equity Committee: Meeting will be this Friday, January 21st from 9am – 12pm. If your student would like a seat at the table where we are beginning discussions on student equity and its impact at OHS, please let me know. Likewise, I am compiling a list of parent names to invite for a future conversation on how we can continue to grow and meet the needs of all of our students.
- Novel Writing Club: Novel Writing Club is hosting a short story contest! The deadline is on February 14th and guidelines for entry can be found through the QR code located on posters throughout the school. Top placing contestants will receive prizes from local businesses including Danger Room Comics, Browsers Books, and Olyphant Art Supply. There’s no prompt, so we look forward to seeing what creative ideas you come up with!
- Poetry Out Loud: Our OHS Poetry Out Loud contest takes place this month! If you are interested in completing but you're not in a participating English class, please see Mrs. Gilman in room 501 or send her an email at email@example.com for information.
- Parking and Traffic: Student parking is available in the lot located off Carlyon Street or the Stadium lot. Students are NOT ALLOWED to park in the Faculty lot located on the SW corner of our campus near the main North Street entrance. Parking registration is required via this OHS STUDENT PARKING REGISTRATION FORM.
Peer-tutoring is offered every week in the library on:
- MONDAY 3:30-4:30 pm and WEDNESDAY 2:40-3:40 pm (1 hour after school)
- TUESDAY 7:45-8:45 am and THURSDAY 7:45-8:45 am (1 hour before school)
All students are welcome to attend. You can find out more information on our OHS website under Academics>Peer Tutoring.
- Student ID cards: The Student ID card printer is up and running in the front office. If you have not gotten your card yet or need a replacement ($10) please stop by before or after school, during break or lunch.
- Worksite Learning: Do you have a job? Are you 16 or older? Do you work 10 hours a week or more? You can earn high school credit for your job through Worksite Learning. To learn more about how to earn high school credit for your job, come to the Counseling Center on Friday(s) at 8:15AM or talk to your counselor or email Brenda Diettrich - Work Site Learning Coordinator firstname.lastname@example.org
- Yearbooks: All 2022 Yearbooks are to be purchased ONLINE ONLY. Order Yearbooks HERE. Yearbooks will be MAILED home this year but to ONLY the address that you provide! If you move this year? PLEASE, update it or email us!!!
PURCHASE A YEARBOOK BY FEBRUARY 1, 2022 TO GUARANTEE A COPY!
- Bear Time Club & Enrichment Time: If you are uncertain where to go, please check out the Bear Time Schedule document and check what clubs are being offered and where.
- Graduation: Now is the time to order your cap & gown, graduation announcements, senior apparel, and class jewelry. Info packets are available in the Counseling Center or go to Jostens.com.Next
- Student Meals: OSD will continue to offer free meals to all students throughout the 2021-22 school year as part of an expansion of a federal program by the USDA. Families should still apply for free/reduced meals via Skyward Family Access > Food Services > Add Applications to receive waived athletic fees and other school items. Contact Lisa Morrison with questions at email@example.com or (360) 596-7022.
- Breakfast: On Regular Bell Schedule Days breakfast is available during passing time between first and second period in addition to before school. Breakfast is FREE to all students this year.
- Lunch: Our very popular A La Carte section is now open once again since the pandemic! If your student isn’t keen on the traditional school lunch (that has been free since we came back to school), they can now grab a snack from the A La Carte line. The snack line isn’t free but students can access their lunch accounts and/or pay with debit/credit/check. Unfortunately, we can not accept cash at the registers.
OHS Sports Announcements
- Bowling: Bears beat Kitsap 1928 to 1477. Next up for Olympia is the final match of the season on January 18th against Emerald Ridge. Unfortunately, this match will have to be virtual as Emerald Ridge is having transportation issues related to Covid-19. Come on out to Westside Lanes from 3 – 5:30 and cheer on your Bears. It is Senior Night so the evening will be extra special indeed.
- Gymnastics: The Olympia Bears gymnastics team won their third consecutive meet on Friday with a season high score of 167.7.
- Junior Jadan Lacy Roberts set a new school record on the uneven bars with a 9.3 in her victory.
- Junior Kat Castro took first on the beam with a 9.0
- Sophomore Gracie Hahn taking 4th All Around 34.25
- Junior Claire Lee 5th all around 34.15.
Way to go Bears!
- Swim: The Bears' swim team completed another successful meet after going 2-0 this week. The team won first place in the 11th Annual South Sound Relays, winning a meet record 8 of 11 events, including getting first, second, and third in the breaststroke relay.
The team concludes the dual meet season with the SPSL championship on the line between two undefeated teams, Curtis and Olympia, this Thursday.
Great job, Bears!
- Track & Field: If you did not make it to the informational meeting on the 5th you can stop by Mr. Stevick’s room to pick up information about winter training and/or if you have any questions about turning out for the Track & Field team Track & Field will be officially starting at the end of February.
Athletics At A Glance 2021-2022
OHS Sports Website: olybearsports.com
(Subject to change, changes in pink, strikethrough is canceled, end of season in blue)