Public Safety Committee Meeting
New Britain Borough – April 27, 2016
- Chair - Robyne Kelemen
- Secretary - Lori Kesilman
- CBRC Representative - Lt. Pat Penecale
- Appointment Advisory Committee liaison - Jo Schuler
Minutes for April 27, 2016:
The monthly meeting of the New Britain Borough Public Safety Committee was called to order at 7:08 PM by Chairwoman Robyne Kelemen. In addition to Ms. Kelemen, the following were present: Janice Kimenhour, Ms. Jo Schuler, Ms. Lori Kesilman, and Lt. Pat Penecale.
Approval of Minutes:
Ms. Kelemen made a motion to approve the minutes of January 27, 2016; seconded by Ms. Schuler. Motion approved.
Reorganization of Public Safety Committee for 2016:
- Mr. David Siegfried resigned from the committee. We are asking that borough staff post this new opening with the other committee openings as well as in email blasts.
- There was a discussion about who would be the chair. Robyne will continue as chair until another member feels able.
Traffic Updates (Lieut. Penecale)
- Citations 27 (January-March)
- Warnings 100 (January-March)
- Accidents 21 (January-March)
CBRPD proposed merger with Chalfont Borough Police - brief status
- Chalfont has joined and the merger has gone smoothly so far.
- Business Route 202 signage Robyne noted that there seems to be limited signage. We hoping Sam can give some insight as to how and why the signs are where they are. The group is in favor of there being more in the future.
Any new business
- Lori raised concerns about traffic speeds and visibility while children are at play, specifically on N Tamenend Avenue. Lt. Penecale suggested we put out reminders about safe street play and driver awareness. He asked that when concerns arise concerning safety in streets and traffic speeds, please call the police and they will address it.
- Robyne noted that PA recently passed legislation allowing marijuana for certain medical uses, and raised the issue of any public safety concerns with marijuana dispensaries. Post meeting note: The borough and solicitor are following this issue, and may present a new ordinance for the borough to consider related to such businesses. This is a new area of legislation in the state and is being followed.
- Meeting adjourned at 8:12 PM.
- Next meeting July 27, 2016
Respectfully submitted, Lori Kesilman. (edits Robyne Kelemen)